Saturday, April 12, 2008

Trip from Ranch Oso TT to San Benito TT

We left early, around 8 am so as to avoid any traffic on the way out. The road into the campground is narrow and curvy. In some spots they have fish eye mirrors mounted so you can see any oncoming traffic. There would be just barely enough room to get 2 cars to pass, NOT 2 motor homes! If we had to back up, we would have to unhitch the Jeep before we could even think about backing. As it was we came to a narrow spot and a truck with a horse trailer was coming straight on. I pulled over to the right as far as possible, fortunately it was at a fairly wide spot in the road. The lady in the truck didn't want to pass as there were some rough bumps on her side and she probably was concerned for bouncing the horses around, I think. Anyway, I sat still and let her drive through, as she did with no problem. It was sure a pleasure to get off that road, really nerve wracking!

Heading north we had not gone for more than a few miles when a deer started across the road from my left. I saw it and started slowing down, we were going down a steep grade, a car coming toward us just barely missed the deer, but I think scared it so much that it leaped right in front of the motor home. No place to go, traffic behind us, really steep ditch to the right, traffic coming at us on the left, so was unable to miss hitting it. As I looked in the mirrors to the rear I could see liquid being deposited on the pavement. Now that was confusing as this motor home is a rear engine vehicle. Could it have gone under the coach and hit the motor? I travel a hundred yards or so until I found a spot to safely pull over.

We got out and looked at the damage. The front headlight was totally missing, the door to the generator was smashed in and there was anti freeze leaking from the front. Opening the generator door, we were able to see that the antifreeze was leaking from a broken heater control valve. We took the hoses off and folded them back to pinch them off and tie wrapped them to secure them. I walked back to the spot of impact, collected the headlight brackets and some miscellaneous parts which I had no idea of where they came from.

Neither of us were injured and it looked as if the door would remain closed, so after a call to the insurance company to determine if we needed a police report (which we didn't) we took off to the next Thousand Trails Preserve.

The drive north was pretty, we were close to the ocean a few times, but the area is all green and trees and veggies growing everywhere. Marcie thought that the growers should post the type of crops they were raising, makes sense as we were constantly trying to figure out what was growing. Strawberries were everywhere!

We arrived at Thousand Trails in plenty of time to set up and enjoy a relaxing dinner ... ... until I looked at the damage again. It gets worse every time I look at it! Oh well, it is what it is.

No comments: